11.12.2009

developing talents

During my last year of junior high, I decided to play the cello in school orchestra instead of the violin again. There were two reasons for this. (1) There weren't enough people playing cello that year; in fact, I think there may have only been one before I switched. (2) I was bored playing the violin; I'd been playing the violin since I was 4 years old, and most of the other orchestranders (I just made that up, can you tell?) had only been playing since...the beginning of junior high. So the music was pretty easy for me. So I switched over to cello with a few other violinists. I had so much fun with the cello, but that was the only year I played it.

A few weeks ago, during primary, a sign-up was sent around for stake orchestra. Every year, our stake does a big Christmas program. For this program, they usually put together a little orchestra which will play a few numbers, and accompany the choir when they sing the Hallelujah Chorus. When this sign-up was sent around, I signed up. I put that I played the violin and the cello.

WHY DID I DO THAT!?

Not sure. But they actually asked me to play it. At least I have a cello, right? My mom has been helping me practice for the past few days, and tonight my little sister played her violin part while I played my cello part.

Amazingly, I had it fairly good the first time I played it, and by tonight I'm feeling like maybe I can pull this off. I know that it's not all me. There is NO way I could ever learn to play the cello in 3 days unless the Lord is helping me. And for that I am eternally grateful. He has blessed me for my moment of stupidity in saying I could play the cello when I couldn't. Kind of funny!

3 comments:

Diana said...

That's pretty cool, and good that you can pick it back up in such a short amount of time.
I'm amazed with orchestra people who can play 1400 instruments fluently

katie+brandon said...

I bet you sound so super great. That would be fun!
Ps, I make up words all the time. It helps intrestify life. ;)

Little Sister said...

You did great! I'm really impressed--I could never play something so huge with that degree of accuracy.