10.15.2011

this is not the visitor i wanted to see outside my door...


















Apparently, this little fella...okay - BIG fella - is called a cat-faced spider. And it is NASTY! I found it outside on my porch yesterday, and it was the size of my big toe. SICK! The only reason I know what it's called is because my brother saw one yesterday, too, on a campout. And one of the boys he was with knew what it was called. I looked them up, and they're harmless (but I'm not believing THAT), I guess. But it was huge, and it looked like a crab, so I trapped it underneath a cottage cheese carton so Mr. Webb could see it (and kill it) when he got home.

They're called cat-faced spiders because their puffy abdomen (which I thought was an egg sac, but isn't) has little indents that look like eyes and pointy bits that look like ears. You can google it for better pictures that really do look like cat faces.

Goodbye, cat-faced spider. Please don't come again. You're creepy!

4 comments:

katie+brandon said...

I feel like it's on me, is it on me!?!?
THAT IS DISGUSTING!!!!!!! No. BEYOND disgusting!! EW, EW, EW, EW, EEEWWWW!!!! I hope I never ever ever ever have to see that ever.

Holly said...

I got shivers just reading your post and looking at your pictures!

Melerella said...

That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen... Ew.

Unknown said...

We had one of those hanging out in our backyard a few years ago. Totally freaked me out. Fascinating but totally creepy. Glad you survived. :)