8.03.2010

michigan - day seven

Tuesday was our last day before leaving for home, so we (me, Mr. Webb, my sister and her husband) headed up to Mackinac Island. I don't remember anything about visiting the island when I was little, but I do remember I loved it.



The island is very small - something like 8.5 miles around the whole thing - so there are no cars allowed. People either walk, bike, or take a carriage. The only way to access the island is by ferry (unless you're made of money and want to fly into their private airport). So we took a ferry over to the island and started our day.




First we went to the visitor's center and got some tickets to go see Fort Mackinac. While we were in the visitor's center, I was very tempted to buy this shirt, but I didn't.



So we went up to the fort and explored it for a few hours. We watched a reenactment of a court martial, we saw the barracks, and we took some goofy pictures.



After the fort, we went and got oven baked subs for lunch, and they were delicious! Then we walked up and down the street and checked out the shops until it was time for our carriage tour.



The carriage tour was awesome. The first half was in a cute red carriage, and we were taken past the shops, the stables, the grand hotel, and all the stuff at the main part of the island. Then we were let off the carriage, at which point we were able to go to a butterfly house. It was the coolest experience ever! I was able to take a bunch of awesome pictures, which wasn't too hard when the subjects were very cooperative! :) But it was fun to walk through the butterflies and have one just land on you.



The second half of the carriage ride was fabulous as well. The guide was very punny. My sister liked him, but I think he was slightly over the top. We got to stop and see Arch Rock, we saw the main cemetery as well as the military cemetery.



When the ride ended, Mr. Webb and I hoped over to Murdick's - the original fudge shop on the island - to get some fudge to take home to the Webb family. It was hard to choose a fudge shop, since just about every other shop on the island was a fudge & candy shop.



The we took the ferry back to the mainland, drove home, and had hamburgers and corn on the cob for dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's.

Tomorrow, the end! Day eight!

2 comments:

katie+brandon said...

Aw, I LOVE mackinac! That's where we went on our honeymoon! I want to go back so bad. Love the pictures, and hope you got some fudge. ;)

Mr. Mordecai said...

Thanks for posting all the pictures. It's fun to see it all.