1.11.2010

the evolution of calpurnia tate

I got "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" from my in-laws for Christmas. I started reading the very next day, and I finally finished it!



This was a delightful book. I usually read action packed books (like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Hunger Games...etc), so this was a little slow and dry for me, but I still liked it a lot.

"My name is Calpurnia Tate, but back then everybody called me Callie Vee. That summer, I was eleven years old and the only girl out of seven children. Can you imagine a worse situation?"

Now tell me you didn't read that and start laughing.

Anyhow, the book is about little Callie Vee and her relationship with her grandfather. She starts to notice different things about the bugs and animals in her yard, and so her grandfather gives her "The Evolution of Species" by Charles Darwin. This little girl and her grandfather explore nature, searching for a new species of animal, insect, or plant.

I'd give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I really liked this one too! you might like "Girl of the Limberlost"

times new roman said...

aymay Iay orrowbay isthay ookbay?

Holly said...

This one received a Newbery Honor Award today!